Hummus without tahini

I love chickpeas.  I love hummus.  I don't love a big jar of tahini sitting in my fridge going bad.  I also don't like wasting food.

Hummus may not be pretty, but it tastes sooooo good.


All these elements came together this morning as I had some sesame seeds that needed using up and I had some chickpeas too.  Alchemy!  Here's my recipe for hummus without tahini.  The amounts are approximate as I didn't really measure.

1 x 400 g chickpeas
1.5 tbsps sesame seeds (I used white ones that were a bit crushed)
0.5 tbsps lemon juice
2 cloves garlic - crushed
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp olive oil
0.5 tbsp sesame oil

Stick it in a bowl, and use a stick blender to mix it all up.  Tweak according to taste using the lemon, cumin and garlic elements to add flavour.  If it's too dry, add some more oil.

Try not to eat the whole lot at once.  I had to forcibly remove myself from it.

And now to find some more sesame recipes.....



2 comments :

  1. Fantastic and such a coincidence - just got a 3kg of chickpeas delivered today! But no tahini either - the last and only has gone bad in the fridge after sitting there for ages :) Will def. try it out! Karin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ate it by the spoonful. :) That is exactly what happens to my tahini and why I don't buy it. :) Hope it tastes good for you too. Yummm..chickpeeeeeas.

      Delete

add to any