Confessions of a waster Day 2

Little Miss O and I went in search of solutions to our waste problems.  Note to self; do not go on a wander looking for old school tofu shops that don't package in plastic when tired or menstrual, with a three year old or in the rain.  And I didn't find one.

Anyway.  I packed my bag for a day of research...and it looked more like I was going away for a YEAR.


List of vocab for washing powder, bread bag, shopping bags, extra bag in case I found rice for sale in bulk, tupperware for fish and tofu and an extra bag for green-bombing someone.


First, we went to the vegetable shop that sells local veggies from our particular ward.  The local bit was exciting, but the fact that basically everything was wrapped in plastic was not.  Sigh.




Nearby, we came across a bread shop - just a very small, kind of grungy one...but they had loaves in the window not wrapped in plastic.  YES!  I took my trusty bread bag and in I went for my six slices for Mr O.  Sigh.  If only it had been so easy.  Although at the outset, I said please no plastic bag, into a plastic bag they went.  When I went on to reiterate my point and showed them my bread bag, the shop assistant insisted I had to have a plastic bag.  Then, I actually felt like crying.  I went on to explain in some kind of frenzied ramble that I had seen the loaves and been so excited that they were not in plastic, so I had come in...and I really didn't want plastic.  I think they complied just to get the crazy woman out of their store.  Poor people.  I don't think I shall trouble them again.


Then we went to the regular shops and were faced by another sea of plastic.  On the upside, I found no chemical additives rice and a big pot of soy yoghurt, so we can alternate between milk and soy.  Organic soy milk is readily available, so actually, I really want to try making some yoghurt and tofu myself.  I also freaked out the woman at the register by putting my salmon in tupperware and not in a plastic bag.  But then she kindly offered me one for my lettuce.

As you can see, my friends, in Japan, going zero waste is not as easy as walking into Whole Foods and filling up your bulk calico bags or glass jars.

And here is today's waste.  I realise that if I started using my compost bins again, which I am BUSTING to do, then a lot of the waste wouldn't BE waste any more.  However, the problem is what to do with the compost once it is ready.  I just don't have the space for it.  I am going to email my local ward council and ask them about it.  Maybe there's a park or a farm or a school or anyone who needs it...


Leftovers from yesterday's party - paper to be recycled


The morning coffee grinds - into the bin


The end of a cucumber - into the bin


A point card given to me at the bread shop (when I was very flustered) and a sultana packet - both to be recycled


Pasta box - plastic to be recycled, cardboard to be used to make cards


A jar label - in the bin


Orange rinds - in the bin


Part of a packet of tomatoes - in the recycling


Coriander and its packet - coriander went in the bin and the packet in the recycling


The rest of the packet of tomatoes and the tomato tops - packet in the recycling, tomato tops in the bin


The other end of the cucumber - in the bin


Avocado skin - in the bin


Salmon skin and bones - in the bin

This doesn't show toilet paper and three pieces of junk mail.



0 comments :

Post a Comment

add to any