Samsara Project: Scarf to hottie (cover)

...in which things pass through states of existence...

When I did my big wardrobe declutter the other day, I cut down on the number of scarves I own.  One of the scarves to go was a fantastically mustard coloured pure wool scarf that I had picked up at a flea market for 100 yen.  Unfortunately, it had got a bit felted in the wash, and it was a bit short to be comfy, so I decided to let it go.

And then I decided to turn it into a hottie cover.  I searched the internet for patterns which were all annoyingly "place your hot water bottle on the fabric and cut around it." I don't have a hot water bottle here (more fool me!), so those were useless.  The best I could find was this one, but even then, I had to draft it myself as there was no printable.  Sigh.  I might have to do one myself one day.

Couldn't understand the instructions at all...or was I just playing dumb? Anyway - tried to work it out my own way, but it didn't work, so it ended up being unpadded and unlined.  Hm.  Not at all what I wanted, but...yeah.  Will have to give those instructions another bash next time.


I did an open overlaid back trimmed in red bias, which, in my excitement and rush to get it in the post, I didn't photograph.  It looked kind of bland on its own, so I added some primary coloured pompoms to give it some pizazz.  Haha.  Do people even use the word "pizazz" anymore?  The top is open too so that you can refill and empty it easily.

And now it is winging its way to a friend who feels the extremes of temperature very keenly, so I hope she will keep warm now.


0 comments :

Post a Comment

add to any