Sewing for kids: Dodgy shirt


Little Miss O is fast outgrowing her long-sleeved tops, so I thought I had better make another one for our upcoming Europe trip.  Will the Russians think I am taking the piss with the matryoshkas, though?  Haha.

I used a pattern from Making Children's Clothes by Emma Hardy. It's actually the pattern for the boy's shirt, but what Little Miss O doesn't know, won't hurt her.  She is having an anti-boy phase at the moment...much as I tell her how nice and eherm..useful..they can be.  I have ambivalent feelings about this book.  Some of the patterns are exceptionally cute and quite useful, some are very dodgy.  That puffball skirt for example?  Some of them just look badly fitted, but that may be more to do with the size of the models...who knows?

I found this pattern a bit hard to understand.  It is a common theme in these craft books with patterns etc.  The instructions are never as detailed as those from the traditional paper pattern from the fabric shop.  And I think that corners are often cut.  This was my first attempt at putting in a collar (at least I think it was, but maybe I have forgotten something along the way).  I was very dissatisfied with the instructions which were unclear and the lack of "finish" - god preserve me from a zig-zag stitch as a finishing tool please!  Sometimes I have to use them, but I prefer a neatly folded over or neatly bound seam. Raw edges are my nemesis.  THUS..the collar came out a bit dodgy.  It also seems very wide, but I suppose I should wait until Little Miss O pops it on, which she has been busting to do since Wednesday.    If I were a total beginner, and let's face it, I am with collars, I wouldn't go for this pattern.  I would use one that holds my hand a lot more and has a nicer finish.

Anyway - it's done and who knows - she may love it...she's a funny little one with a very eclectic taste.   

I used fabric from my stash that cost 200 yen on sale and vintage buttons from my stash which probably cost about $2 from a jumble sale.


6 comments :

  1. since the most i can saw is a button, you have my deep admiration - everything you make is super cute! karin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karin and thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  2. I have that book as well and agree with you some of the styles and instructions are a bit odd. I think your collar is fine though and the finished top is cute.

    I actually ended up making the hat from that book (at least I think it was from that book?) which, for the record, worked really well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I made the hat too - it was great. Or was it from the Liesl Gibson book - Little Things to Sew? I get confused between those two. Little Things to Sew is fanTAStic if you don't have it. But yes - an odd book.

      Thank you - Little Miss O loved it too. Well, she loved it yesterday, anyway. Who knows about next time? :)

      Delete
  3. Sorry I haven't 'popped in' for a while, this is a great dodgy collar shirt.. I'd wear it in my size!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you here! I bet life is very busy with the second little friend these days. LOVE that embroidery.

      Delete

add to any