Sewing for kids: Vintage Simplicity 7739


Finished up this little number this afternoon while Little Miss O got ink all over her fingers and made dinosaur pictures.  I used some fabric I got on sale for 200 yen a metre at Tomato - I think I got a metre and a half and I used about half to three quarters of it and for the pockets, some leftover fabric from this shirt.


I used this vintage Simplicity pattern.  Vintage patterns are the best - from the graphics to the design itself.  However, I must say...Jiffy, my arse!  Anything with a zip and facings is not easy sew, my friends.  OK - not incredibly taxing, but I always look at these patterns and think...oh yeah..an hour or two, and I will knock it over, and that never happens.  However, despite the non-jiffyness of it,  it is a great pattern and one that I have used many a time.  There are not many pieces to cut out and the instructions are pretty clear except for, rather disappointingly, the bit where you have to put in the zip. It simply tells you to follow the instructions on the zip packet.  No worries for me as I can put in a zip so-so, but very annoying for a beginner!  Anyhow,  as you can see above, it makes up super cute.  A perfect little girl's summer dress.  Now where is the mama's one?

2 comments :

  1. Very pretty. Love those pockets! Well done to you for tackling the zip.....

    ReplyDelete

add to any