Eco eater: Quinoa and wholemeal flour tortillas


Hm.  Why does quinoa smell so baaaaad?  Like stinky motor oil.  Ech.  Anyway, dear Mama S got me some quinoa flour at the supermarket when I was looking for just...quinoa, bless her little thoughtful heart.  SO...I decided to use it to make some tortilla.  I used this recipe from Gracious Pantry.  I halved it as I didn't need 18 and ended up with ten anyway, so I froze some.  I also didn't have any brown rice flour, so I used wholemeal flour.  I had to fiddle around a bit with the water to flour ratio, but I eventually got it right.  I don't have anything so fancy as a tortilla press, so I just flattened and patted the balls out with my hands (hence the rustic look).  They were still stinky, but they were DAMN good.  Nice and thick and chewy.  YUM.

I served them with my basic taco sauce

1 cup brown lentils (soaked overnight and then cooked until soft)
1 tin diced tomatoes
1 onion chopped
1/3 pack taco spice mix (I know - I will get around to mixing my own spice mix one day)
1/2 tbsp olive oil

Simple - sweat the onions in the olive oil until nice and soft, chuck in the tomatoes, lentils and spice mix.  Keep on a medium flame until heated through.  I usually add capsicum and mushies and sometimes corn, but didn't have any of those on hand today. Time to order another veggie box.

Served with plain yoghurt, a little grated cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and avocado.  One of my fave dinners.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

add to any