Lucca Top Five

Little Miss O and I are currently enjoying the delights of Lucca in Tuscany, so I thought I would share with you my very humble top five.  Humble in that...well, it's my humble opinion.  I am sure lots of people love Lucca and have their own favourites, so please share!


The garden at Palazzo Controni-Pfanner.  It's visible from the city walls, so you don't have to go in, but you would be missing out if you didn't.  We were there with a handful of other people on a June afternoon, and it was like being in a gorgeous Shakespeare play or sonnet...all classical statues, overblown roses and hydrangeas, a fountain, birds singing...shall I compare thee to a summer's day?  Entrance fee is 4.50 Euro for adults.


The antiques market on the third weekend of the month.  A sensory overload and a wallet strain, mostly, but worth it just to wander and get eyefuls and eyefuls of amazing design and...some kitsch as well.  Not every single thing is a budget blow out.  I picked up a lovely batik-esque vintage maxi skirt for five euro, which I will be working with a white singlet tomorrow.


The various outlets for the local spring water dotted around the town.  To be honest, I got a bit put off by a guy and then a dog (ew) sucking on the taps, but the water tastes...well...like nothing, which is delicious and it's free, so take a bottle to fill.


Listening to music on the Piazza San Michele.  There is a corner in the plaza where you can see stop and listen to music pretty much every day.  It's free - although it's nice to put some cashola in the pot - these people are earning a living too - and our fave was the string trio.  All that is needed to complete the picture is a.....

..spot to have a coffee or a gelato.  I had the best coffee at Turandot in Piazza San Michele and the best gelato at Gelateria Veneta.

Beautiful.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

add to any