Lampshade revamp

I am doing a few house-y type projects in my parent's granny flat where Little Miss O and I stay when we are in town...and am working on a budget.  As usual!  Mum had this lamp with its oh-so-daggy shade, so I decided to give it a makeover.  




At first, I thought I would paint the base as well, but in fact, at the end of the lampshade project, it looked quite good, so I left it.  I got a lampshade kit from Lincraft on sale (might get another couple smaller ones for the lamps I am planning to get for the bookshelf and my bedside table).  I wish I had kind of looked at it a bit more closely as it ended up involving raw edges, which are my WORST nightmare.  I kind of assumed they would somehow magically roll up inside the wire or something...who knows what I was thinking, but anyway....next time, I will cut the fabric larger and hem the edges.


To mask the raw edges at the bottom and because of my ongoing love affair with the stuff I glued (yes, I know - that also makes me shudder) on some yellow pom pom trim after I had covered the shade with the fabric, which happens to come from an old sheet I picked up for about 70c at a church opshop.



Et voila.  It has a few bumpy bits and I am very uncomfortable about the glue and the raw edges, BUT, the overall look is very cute and effective, don't you think? Total cost - Half the sheet = 35c, $23.99 (I think) for the lampshade kit (EXPENSIVE!) and $4 for the trim.

Next is a pouf to put my feet up at the end of the day.

What are you working on at the moment?

0 comments :

Post a Comment

add to any