Eco beauty: Smooth as a baby's bum


Let's face it (no pun intended) - none of us are getting any younger, so a good moisturiser is a good friend.  I am a devotee of moisturiser (and make-up for that matter) with sunscreen but trying to find one that is good as well as good for me and the environment is tricky.  

My quest so far has taken me thus;

Oil of Ulay/Olay All Day Complete UV Moisturiser for Sensitive Skin - Oil of Ulay/Olay was my first moisturiser, my first moisturiser with sunscreen and to be honest, my one true love.  I had a friend who once told me that when she surveyed all the women at the nursing home where she was working, the ones with the best skin all were Oil of Ulay/Olay users.  This slides on so nicely and is also not expensive and hey - it's fragrance and PABA-free.   When I ran it through as a preliminary and unverified report on the Skin Deep website, it came out with a toxicity level of 4.

Juice Organics SPF 30 Mineral Moisturiser - Sheer.  
Man - it's a while since I used this one, but I do recall thinking it was really thin and watery to begin with - the product seemed to have separated in the tube because it got much thicker and nicer as I went along.  I liked it, and I liked the fact that it was SPF30.  However, running it through the old preliminary and unverified repost on Skin Deep, it came out as a 5.  It's also a little pricey.

Marie Veronique Organics Moisturising Face Screen - SPF30.  Oh - I wanted to like this.  I really, really did.  It was so....exciting.  It smelt good.  It came in a cute bottle - all kind of apothecary styley.  It cost a LOT.  It had a high SPF.  It rated only a 1 on the EWG toxicity scale.  And it made me look like I had smeared chalk all over my face.  Disappointed.

Trilogy Vital Moisturising Cream SPF15.  I first discovered Trilogy when I was in the airport in Bangkok.  I love their rosehip oil - love all rosehip oil, actually  - it is the SHIZ, but I digress.  I love the smell of their bath wash.  Hell, I love the packaging.  I love what they do.  However,  I feel they are a bit expensive for me, and they came out as a 4 on the toxicity level in my unverified preliminary EWG report.  As for the cream itself - it separated in the tube so was a bit  unreliable in texture and I found it not very...moisturising, which defies the point a little.  It also smelt weird.  Next!

Yes to Carrots Daily Facial Moisturiser with SPF 15.  I discovered this by accident when I was at the supermarket desperately looking for a new moisturiser.  And I LOVE it.  It has a really silky texture and glides on really easily - although it's best to let it sit for a while before applying makeup.  I don't feel like it's greasy or cakey.  It's not cheap - I think it was AUD26.95, but it's at the lower end of the scale of all the ones I have tried.  It rates a 4 on a verified EWG report, which is not ideal, but so far, this is my fave.  They also do good stuff for the world, which I like.

What are your favourite eco/skin-friendly beauty products?





0 comments :

Post a Comment

add to any