Minimalist musings - gifts


OOOOOF!  Am "helping" my mum clear out all her crap at the moment - and what a load of it she has.  The more I clear out stuff, visit malls and hear about shopping, the more I get put off by it all and just want to freeeeee myself of all vestiges of THINGS.  Of course, when I start thinking about it, I get cold feet, but I am determined to try to persevere.

One thing that I am sure about is that I want to really sort out is gift-giving and minimalism.  Gift-giving just ends up with us being flooded with more STUFF.  Some of it is really nice stuff, it has to be said, but it's still just stuff.  Stuff that we don't need and that we have to find a place for.  I know I wrote about it just before Christmas, but I want to discuss it a bit more (especially as my birthday is coming up in a couple of months.)  Here are a few more ideas that I had;

1) Charity gifts - People have a lot of stuff, so why not give them...nothing?  A contribution to charity - maybe something that person believes in - for example, for me, it would have to be charities that support education or preservation of nature or nurturing disadvantaged girls.


2) Buy their products - I know this one is a bit..out there, but I would be delighted if someone chose to buy themselves or someone else one of my handmade items instead of giving me a birthday gift. That would be a triple win situation - they are making me happy, they are getting something useful, and I get some cash to put away for a wonderful experience.

3) Vouchers - one of my friends gave me some itunes vouchers which means that I can buy music without adding to my stuff.  My mother-in-law gives me vouchers that I always use at the supermarket, saving the cash for travel or a nice meal or something.  I guess vouchers could just lead to buying more stuff, but at the very least, it would be stuff the person actually wants.  Not ideally minimalist, though.

Food for thought.

1 comments :

  1. Totally get where you are coming from. Also think that 'experiences' are a good idea for gifts, but I guess that comes into the 'voucher' category. I.e hot air balloon ride, massage, reflexology appointment or something.

    The idea of buying a handmade item from the birthday person, is a really lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete

add to any