Eco bandwagonning

Is it a verb? Well, it is now. Anyway. While I was in the shower (turning the water off while lathering, of course)...I was thinking about companies, people and products that are a bit eco-bandwagonesque. In my humble view, an eco-product should have as many as possible of the following attributes;

1) sustainably produced e.g not sourcing from unethical or dwindling resources, using recycled materials etc.
2) built to last - otherwise, it's a bit pointless from an eco point of view
3) multi-functional
4) biodegradable, recyclable or possible to reuse as something else later

Recently, I have realised that I have been a bit bandwagon-y myself vis a vis some eco products. Take - for example - my KeepCup. I love it, that's for sure, and I have certainly saved quite a few paper cups since Christmas, and I would definitely...probably..recommend it to my friends. However...as far as eco goes, it is, on reflection, a little gimmicky and not as eco as I would like.

It's certainly 4) and so far, it's 2). Number one, I am not so sure about, but my real problem is with 3). It can only be used reaaaallly as a takeaway coffee or tea cup. It leaks a little bit, so you couldn't use it for water. It doesn't keep the drink hot for more than the five - ten minutes it takes me to walk to my Japanese class from the coffee shop, so you couldn't use it for soup for lunch. Hm.

I have a thermo-mug which I got from a recycled source which kind of checks my number one box. I have washed it thoroughly with boiling water and vinegar and made a cute little cover from scrap fabrics to protect my little hands, and I am going to give it a whirl tomorrow to test its eco-credentials vis a vis multi-functionality. Will it leak? Will it keep my drink hot? I'd have to research 2) and 4) a little further, but it's the 3) of alleged eco-products that's really bothering me at the moment.

Anyway - these are the kind of things I think about in the shower.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

add to any